Who am I?
I’m Dan, owner and webmaster of this blog-style website. Am I as serious and angry as some articles may seem? No way. I rely extensively on humor. As quickly as I whip out the insults and sarcasm, I expect to be on the receiving end of just as many jokes.
Be warned though — I really don’t like idiots or annoying people. Whether this is in the form of a really stupid commercial, a celebrity showing off a lack of intelligence, or even an annoying salesman trying to make a quick sale, I will probably make a few comments about it. The exceptional examples will probably find their way here in an article or two.
I created “The Rellim Zone” as my own personal website to initially focus on the exciting world of website development and SEO techniques, though lately most of the articles revolve around criticizing commercials and advertisements. Creativity has never been one of my strong suits, but analyzing, criticizing and modifying other people’s work is a different story.
I was born and initially raised in Detroit, Michigan, though I’ve been living here in northern metro Atlanta, Georgia for over twenty years. My travels in college took me into the deep south as I studied operational meteorology in the great state of Mississippi. Am I a southerner? No, I don’t consider myself to be one. Then again, I’m not a northerner or mid-westerner, either. I’d settle for being from Mars, but that may offend the native Martians and spark an intergalactic war.
Storm chasing was one of the more entertaining parts of college. It’s not every day that intentionally going into the path of a hurricane counts as an excused absence from class.
In addition to knowing about the weather and climate, I’m also an FAA licensed private pilot and I’ve been part of a high school Navy JROTC and college Air Force ROTC unit. Unforeseen medical issues prevented me from pursuing my career as a military pilot.
ROTC was definitely an excellent discipline and self-confidence part of school. Highlights involved being on an armed drill team and color guard unit on the high school level, and being part of an unarmed drill team included marching in a daytime Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans on the college level. High school JROTC also involved field trips to places such as Corpus Christi, TX; Colorado Springs, CO (U.S. Air Force Academy and NORAD); and the tropical and relaxing Key West, FL. Yeah, that Key West trip was pretty tough .
In addition to the weather, military and aviation, my other interests include geography, U.S. history, photography, politics, sports, theme parks, sci-fi, and of course, professional wrestling. Sometimes too much time is spent drifting from one fascinating topic to another one on Wikipedia.
I am also a huge fan of the 1980s! Movies, music, fashion styles and just society as a whole, it’s all good. I love that time period and am a proud child of the 80s!
– FAVORITES (in no particular order) –
- Detroit Tigers
- Detroit Red Wings
- Detroit Lions – I enjoy the jokes. Keep ‘em coming!
- Atlanta Falcons
- Atlanta Thrashers
- Atlanta Braves
- NASCAR – Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch, Sam Hornish, Jr. & Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
- IRL – Kanaan, Wheldon, Dixon, Franchitti, Briscoe, Tracy, Power, Wilson, Andretti, Hunter-Reay . . . most drivers except Danica Patrick and Milka Duno.
- Mississippi State University – My alma mater. GO ‘DAWGS!
- Georgia Tech – My brother’s alma mater. GO JACKETS/BUMBLE BEES/WASPS/STINGING INSECTS/WHATEVER!
- University of Michigan – Lifetime wolverine fan. GO BLUE! FIRE RICH RODRIGUEZ!
- The A-Team
- The Amazing Race
- Burn Notice
- Destination Truth
- King of the Hill
- Married . . . With Children
- Miami Vice
- Pawn Stars
- South Park
- TNA Impact!
- Jurassic Park, Prey and State of Fear – Michael Crichton
- Rainbow Six, Red Storm Rising and Without Remorse – Tom Clancy
- The Godfather and The Last Don – Mario Puzo
- Red Phoenix, Vortex and The Enemy Within – Larry Bond
- Flight of the Intruder and The Intruders – Stephen Coonts
- nearly anything written by Clive Cussler
- non-fiction books about warfare, U.S. history, or political “insider” books
- Too many to name. That’s another website entirely.
- I’m not saying anything, but you can guess all you want.
Questions, comments, suggestions, hate mail or fan club?
Send me an e-mail or leave a comment in any of the articles. Most of the articles within a year of publishing allow comments.